What it is
The CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) is a 5-day training program designed as a certification for cyber security engineers, cyber security analysts, and cybersecurity professionals who have at least 10 years’ experience in IT administration including hands-on technical security expertise of at least 5 years. CASP was created by CompTIA in 2011 as a master-level qualification with an intention to enable candidates build on the knowledge obtained from the CompTIA Security+ study program. With this program, participants are expected to expand on their knowledge as an already certified cyber security professional and apply more advanced techniques that will safeguard the organization safe from variegated threats.
This cyber security certification path will require the application of critical thinking and judgment over wide-ranging information security disciplines to proffer and implement sustainable security solutions that enhance organizational strategies; translate business needs into security requirements; support IT governance and risk management; provide architect security for hosts, networks, and software, and respond to security incidents among others. CASP is approved by the US Department of Defense (DoD 8570); meets the IA technical, management and System Engineer/Architect certification requirements, and is one of the top security certifications in 2018.
Before commencing this must have certification for cyber security, candidates are expected to have an understanding of Information Security fundamentals.
- Identity and Access Management (IAM), concepts and common implementation techniques, including directory services and authentication factors
- An understanding of cryptographic concepts and common implementation procedures, such as Secure Sockets Layer/Transport Layer Security (SSL/TLS), and public key infrastructure (PKI)
- Knowledge of computer networking techniques and their implementation, such as the configuration of routers and switches and the TCP/IP model
- Knowledge of common security technologies used to safeguard the enterprise, such as anti-malware, firewalls, solutions, and VPNs
What You Can Achieve With A CASP Certification
In this cyber security training, participants will analyze and apply advanced, real-world cybersecurity concepts and principles to resolve issues that are pertinent to enterprise-grade cybersecurity. With CASP IT security training, you will gain the requisite knowledge on how to fully prepare for the CASP exam (CAS-003). Earning a CASP certification corroborates your skills in enterprise security, risk management, research and analysis, and the integration of computing, communications, and business disciplines. Upon successful completion of this computer security course, candidates will be adept at:
- Leveraging technology to improve enterprise security
- Using research methodology to safeguard the enterprise
- Integrating sophisticated authentication and authorization techniques
- Implementing cryptographic techniques
- Investigating enterprise storage requirements
- Unravel potential threats and devise appropriate countermeasures
- Evaluating collaboration methodologies for security communications
- Implementing security controls for hosts;
- Implementing security controls for mobile devices
- Implementing network security; examine risk management security regulations and procedures
- Implementing security protocols in systems as well as software development lifecycle
- Integrating hosts, storage, applications, networks, virtual environments, and cloud technologies in a secure enterprise architecture
- Performing security assessments
- Responding to and recovering from security emergencies
Who CompTIA Is Meant For
This cyber security certification path is designed for IT professionals in the cybersecurity industry whose primary job responsibility is to secure complex enterprise environments. CASP+ is one of the hands-on, performance-oriented credentials for practitioners; not managers, at the advanced experiential level of cybersecurity. A cybersecurity manager identifies what cybersecurity policies and frameworks could be implemented whereas a CASP-certified professional finds ways to implement solutions within those policies and frameworks.
To earn this top cyber security certification, the target student should have real-world experience with the technical administration of these enterprise environments. The target audience includes the following:
- Cyber Security &IS Professionals
- Information Security Analysts
- Cybersecurity Risk Analysts
- Cybersecurity Risk Managers
- Security Architects
The Career Prospects Of A CASP Certification
The CASP is a security training course is dissimilar to other mastery-level certifications because it provides a more hands-on approach for real-world experience. Other certifications such as CISSP are management track courses and offer more managerial and diagnostic skills than advanced topics like hacking. This makes CASP one of the best network security courses as it is a highly technical and highly comprehensive information security course. Some of the job titles ascribed to a CASP holder include:
Cyber Security Analyst
The job description of a certified Cyber Security Analyst is to conceptualize and implement security protocols to safeguard IT systems, network infrastructure, and data within an organization. Information security analysts need to continuously update their knowledge of cybercriminal activities if they are to protect their companies against the latest threats. Obtaining this data security certification is an excellent way to develop countermeasures to hinder any efforts that are made against the organization.
Some key job functions of a Cyber Security Analyst are:
- Developing disaster recovery plans
- Conducting risk assessments and making recommendations
- Maintaining security protocols like firewalls and security hardware
- Training staff and designing IT policy and implementation
Certified Cybersecurity Architect/Engineers are charged with the responsibility of handling data systems within an enterprise. They have a similar job function to that of the Cybersecurity Analyst, but with a strong focus on implementation than on reporting and policy creation, however, these roles coincide. System Engineers perform penetration testing and simulated attacks so that they can toughen the organization’s defenses and lessen the possibility of a significant breach.
Some key job functions of a Security Engineer include:
- Maintaining security plans and policies
- Developing and implementing protective protocols
- Vulnerability testing
- Monitoring network for security issues
- Investigating and reporting security incidents
The Network Engineer position is one that involves many functions. Network Engineers have an intimate adeptness of how communications systems work on software and hardware levels and can design, install and manage networks. Network Engineers know about network security best practices and can create a stable and secure communications scope within the organization. However, their main focus is on network operation and functionality.
Some key job functions of a Network Engineer are:
- Network design and implementation
- Network performance monitoring
- Troubleshooting and repairing network faults
- Administering network devices
- Maintaining network infrastructure
Other Job positions that need CASP+
- Security Architect
- Technical Lead Analyst
- Application Security Engineer
Candidates that have achieved a CASP internet security certification can expect a lucrative income. The salary ranges from $75,000 and $130,000 per annum, depending on the job role and experience. Being a CASP professional is a highly technical career path that usually entails that candidate has at least 10 years’ work experience in IT Administration before writing the exam and 5 years of focused Information Security endeavor.
CompTIA; which provides cyber security certifications for beginners and advanced professionals, also provides a Continued Education program (CE), which must be renewed every 3 years. This maintains the validity of the candidates’ qualification and shows that they value their cyber security awareness training and can keep up with all of the latest changes in cybersecurity.
Organizations that use CASP+
- US Army
- American Navy
- Verizon Connect
- Network Solutions
Certification Name: The CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP); Exam Code: CAS-003
Prerequisites: minimum of 10 years of experience in IT administration, and at least 5 years of hands-on technical security experience.
Salary range: $75,000 – $130,000 per annum
Number of available job positions: 3102 (as reported by TechCareers)
Number of available job positions: 1345 (as reported by Indeed)
Number of available job positions: 1096(as reported by Simply Hired)
Where You Can Get CASP Certified
Enrolling for the Simple Cyber CASP+ cybersecurity course guarantees the best “master-level equivalent” that will serve as a springboard to launch your cybersecurity career. We offer the best certifications for cyber security professionals. To get certified, you need to pass the CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner Examination and display the skills required to leverage technology to improve enterprise security. We offer instructor-led training classes with well-blended learning delivery options (self-paced eLearning or instructor-led learning). We have a wide variety of videos, which serve to accelerate your learning experience. We provide 24/7 teaching support and assistance.